About Bhante Wimala
Venerable Bhante Y. Wimala has been a Buddhist monk for 47 years, known throughout the world as a compassionate spiritual teacher and tireless humanitarian, with projects and teaching programs all over the world.
Unlike most monks who wander in their homelands or live ascetically in monasteries, Bhante has been called to spend his life traveling around the world to teach and to heal and to bring peace to the people of our planet. He has forged friendships across the globe and has been involved in numerous projects involving restoring entire villages in Sri Lanka ravaged by the tsunami and war, earthquake relief in Haiti and Nepal, and cyclone relief in Bangladesh. He personally oversees countless projects across the globe, especially in Africa and Asia, to restore eyesight, bring medical supplies and wheelchairs where there were none, educate youth, build orphanages and hospitals, bring water to villages high in the mountains of Nepal which were cut off after the earthquake, create job training for women, homes for the homeless and bring hope to prisoners and suffering individuals around the world.
His Holiness the Dalai Lama says of Bhante: “Bhante Wimala’s heartfelt concern for the suffering and the simple remedies he draws from the Buddha’s teachings will be a source of strength for everyone confused by the pressures of modern life.”
His Holiness The Dalai Lama also writes of Bhante: [He] “presents the teachings the Buddha gave over 2,500 years ago as if they had been given to address the needs of people today. His counsel to those who meet him is drawn from his own experience and the inspiration he has gained from studying and contemplating the Buddha’s teachings on a simple and practical level. [Bhante] explains how meditation functions as a healing force for the mind; he also discusses global problems such as the pollution and degeneration of our environment.” Since 1986 Bhante Wimala has being the Chairperson and Spiritual Director of Triple Gem Buddhist Society, the Center for Conscious Evolution in Princeton, New Jersey and Boston, Massachusetts, USA. He also was the Founding Director and Spiritual Advisor of Prison Ministries which provided educational and spiritual support programs in many state prisons in the USA.
Following are some of Bhante Wimala's appointments and positions:
- 1994. Received the appointment of Chief Sangha Nayaka (honorary leadership position) of the USA and Canada by the supreme Council of Monks of the Samastha Amarapura Sangha Sabha of Sri Lanka.
- 1998.Established the Lotus Buddhist Center in Prague, Czech Republic and served as the founding spiritual teacher
- 2001. Founded the Samadhi Buddhist Meditation Centre in Tupadly (Prague) Czech Republic and still serves as the spiritual Director and teacher.
- 2000. Since 2000, Bhante has being serving as the head Monk and Spiritual Director of Nairobi Buddhist Temple, Nairobi, Kenya.
- 2010. Bhante was reinstated as the Chief monk for the USA by the supreme Sangha council. He was also appointed as the Chief Sangha Nayaka of the Czech Republic and Kenya.
Bhante Wimala is the recipient of many awards for his peace efforts and humanitarian activities, including:
- 2007. The Global Peace Award in 2007 from the Peace Center in the United States and the metropolitan Christian Council of Philadelphia.
- 2007. Humanitarian award from the members of parliament, Kenya
- 2008. Bhante received the Ambassador for Peace Award, offered by the Universal Peace Federation, an international and inter-religious federation for world peace.
- 2009. Bhante Wimala was awarded the Health Services Excellence Award from the Ministries of Health and Resettlement of the government of Sri Lanka.
- 2010, the Upcountry Amarapura Supreme monks Council of Sri Lanka awarded Bhante the prestigious ‘Samadutha” Ambassador of Peace Award.
- 2014. Humanitarian service award, Asian Development Foundation collage, Tacloban City Philippines.
- 2017. Humanitarian award, Asian Development Foundation Collage, Tacloban City, Philippines
For further information please contact: